Krista, you did a great job! I also researched a theorist that had great influence on teaching effective writing strategies. I researched Lucy Calkins. She believes that being a good reader and writer derives from experience. She stated that if we provide our students in print-rich environments that they will indeed soar when it comes to being proficient at reading and writing.
Calkins also described writing conferences. She states that these conferences help the teacher to assess and offer guidance within the writing process. This quote from Tomlinson, “students learn to chart their growth and to talk about both their learning goals and ways to achieving them” (Tomlinson, 2001, p.22) really allowed me to make a connection to Calkins. I thought it was interesting that Calkins stated we have conferences for the teacher to assess, but after reading this quote I feel as if they are also a time for the students to self-reflect on their writing progress. When the teacher and the student are working together, I feel as if the results are exquisite. This is effective collaboration at work!
Krista, you did a great job! I also researched a theorist that had great influence on teaching effective writing strategies. I researched Lucy Calkins. She believes that being a good reader and writer derives from experience. She stated that if we provide our students in print-rich environments that they will indeed soar when it comes to being proficient at reading and writing.
ReplyDeleteCalkins also described writing conferences. She states that these conferences help the teacher to assess and offer guidance within the writing process. This quote from Tomlinson, “students learn to chart their growth and to talk about both their learning goals and ways to achieving them” (Tomlinson, 2001, p.22) really allowed me to make a connection to Calkins. I thought it was interesting that Calkins stated we have conferences for the teacher to assess, but after reading this quote I feel as if they are also a time for the students to self-reflect on their writing progress. When the teacher and the student are working together, I feel as if the results are exquisite. This is effective collaboration at work!