Thursday, June 14, 2012

Module 2: Activity 1 & 2

3. We can often get the meaning from context (even though we may never pronounce the word correctly). Try it:
c. Try essentially the same procedure again. Write down the definition for these words:
    creech-a way to silently creep from one place to another
    droogs-an animal that tends to excessively drool
    glazzies- being glad to do something
    goloss- a type of water shoe
    malenky- a form of bad behavior
    messel- a large amount
    millicents- a very small amount of money
    poogly- another word for cowardly
    razrez- something used to shave oneself
    skorry- an apology
    spatted- past tense of spit
    zoobies- people who are obsessed with zoos

      After about the third word, I realized that I was making up these definitions based upon words I already know. Usually, whatever familiar word came to mind the instant I read the unknown word was what stemmed my definition. Along with an common initial word, I also thought about how that word would be used in a sentence to determine its part of speech. Without context, it was not difficult to think of a definition, not that my definition is right by any means, because I would simply relate it to something I already knew.

After reading A Clockwork Orange I formulated different definitions:

    droog- a friend
A droof is a friend because the character Alex mentioned talking to them about what their plans were for the night.
    skorry- fast or quick
Alex mentioned that people may not remember what "mestos" were like because "things are changing so skorry these days and quick to forget". The "and" in the previous sentence lead me to believe that the two phrases were correlated and with "quick" being a familiar word I determined that the two words were similar.
    glazzies- eyes
Three girls with brightly colored wigs with matching make-up. The make-up was "rainbows round the glazzies", which led me to believe that their surrounding eye make-up was rainbow colored.
    spatted- dated 
The girls had male names attached to their clothing which meant they had "spatted" with those men before the age of fourteen. So, this led me to believe that the names were spatted on them because it was the first guy they dated.
    messel- feeling or emotion
Alex explained that after you drank the moloko that you would have a messel that everything was in the past. This reminded me of the word feel because you could feel like something was in the past.
    goloss- voice
He said that the singer's goloss was essentially filling the room. When I think singer, I think of their voice. So, their voice, or goloss, filled the room.


7. Pronounce the words aloud quickly, without struggling over them.

a. I did not try to sound out the words letter-by-letter because if i was to read the words quickly as the directions said I would not have time to spend significant amount of time on each letter. Also, if I did do it this way, the word I was trying to say would not necessarily sound like a word, but a broken up mixture of sounds.

b. I tried to read the words in syllable chucks because even though I did not recognize the words, I was able to identify or recognize the majority of the syllables.

c. I tended to try to read the words all in one with longer words, because I would start by breaking it up into syllables, but by the end of the big words I would just glance at it and say something they would have been similar. However, when I did that I noticed that I added or omitted several letters within the word.

d. I do not think I know the full definition of each of the words, however, by looking at the prefixes and suffixes I could possibly determine a partial meaning. For example,  the word "submandibular" begins with the prefix "sub" which most nearly means under or secretly. The word "extravaste" begins with "extra" which reminds me of extracurricular which indicates to me that "extra" means to go beyond something.

e.Yes, pronouncing them allowed me to identify the recognizable prefixes and suffixes that I mentioned above.

f. When I encounter words I am unfamiliar with in daily readings, I usually relate it to other words that sound the same. After I have determined similar words, I usually reread the sentence to figure out its context to see if my idea of the word would make sense. If not then I simply rely on my surrounding context clues.

g. The experiment is to give us an idea of what it is like to see a word that is completely unfamiliar to us and expected to orally sound it out. This is how are students feel when they are reading a text and come to a word they have never seen before, but expected to say it correctly with the phonic patterns they have previously learned. My first instinct was not to think about the phonemic patterns within the words but to relate them to words I already know combined with the context of the word's surroundings. When teaching children how to identify unknown words, it is important that we teach them multiple ways of identification because simply sounding the word out will not allow us to determine its meaning. The student should see if the word may relate to another known word, and compare that to the rest of the sentence. Allow the student to guess and check and they go through this process until they determine a word that most likely fits within the sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment