Take a look at the following examples of children's dialect-based miscues while reading and the difference between the child's original response (OR) and expected reponse (ER). Then answer the questions that follow.
|
1.
|
OR: It my little
monkey here.
|
ER: Is my little
monkey here?
|
|
2.
|
OR: We got to tell.
|
ER: We've got to
tell.
|
|
3.
|
OR: Frog look at
Toad calendar.
|
ER: Frog looked at
Toad's calendar.
|
|
4.
|
OR: A word what
sounded good.
|
ER: A word that
sounded good.
|
|
5.
|
OR: hisself
|
ER: himself
|
|
6.
|
OR: I can come to
your party?
|
ER: Can I come to
your party?
|
The children's miscues are evidence of proficient readers for various reasons. Examples two, three, five and six seem like they would stem from "at-home" or cultural dialect. From personal experience and after reading the text, it is evident in readers of varying dialect that they are apt to leave off contracted endings,a s in example two; leave off tenses, as in example three; pronounce words differently, as in example five; and say a statement as a question, as in example six. I actually had a friend who was born and raised in the heart of Louisiana and when she asked a questions like "can I come to you party" it would be in the structure of a statement, but because of the question infection at the end it was obvious she was asking not making a statement. Therefore, things of that nature are dialects that may effect the reading process.
Examples one and four may seem like trivial mistakes that had to have been made by a less-proficient reader, however, that implication would be wrong. These mistakes would also be made by a proficient reader because the reader is beginning to read for meaning through anticipation of what will come next in the sentence. With that, proficient readers tend to make the majority of their miscues in pronoun and basic words because of their subconscious instinct to predict upcoming words.
I would not offer these children any assistance throughout their oral reading because as Weaver states, "evidence that understanding usually precedes oral verbalization and in light of the evidence that proficient readers make miscues that reflect their predictions, their prior knowledge, and even their preferred language structures" (2002, p.74). If however, I did think that the oral language was effecting their understanding, I would simply allow the student to reiterate what they just read in their own words because that would show true comprehension. "When reading aloud, our understanding is usually ahead of our voice" (Weaver, 2002, p.76). There was another study done where Kenneth and Yetta Goodman focused on student miscues as well as their overall comprehension. It was determined "that there is 'no evidence that inability to cope with Book English is a general problem for any group' (1978, p.3-5). The students' dialect or interlanguage influence was evident in their reading, 'but it is not in itself a barrier to comprehension' (p.3-22)" (Weaver, 2002, p.76).
References
Weaver,
C. (2002). Reading process and practice. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann
Educational Books.
Krista,
ReplyDeleteI too felt as though the reader was a proficient reader. You could tell that the child was gaining meaning from the reading but was miscuing on basic function words. You are right that the student is starting to anticipate what is coming next and so they will make miscues because they bring forth their own background and everyday use at home into their reading. I know personally I use different wording than a lot of my friends because my parents are of South African decent and so they use very proper English in their conversations. I interchange some words but I am still gaining the meaning from what I read.
Krista,
ReplyDeleteI also agreed that the readers in the examples were proficient. Similar to your Louisiana story, I learned that sentences can be restated by just putting a question mark at the end of them in the French language. After taking three semesters of French, that was one of the easiest things to remember!
Since reading for meaning is the ultimate goal of the reading process, I too feel that these students were making simple or dialect miscues, thus not really impairing their understanding of the passage. Now, if they would have miscued on the words monkey, calendar, or party, that might be a different story.
Allowing the student to retell what was gained from the text is a powerful way to assess his or her comprehension.