Thursday, June 7, 2012

Module 1: Activity 2


 
 Corandic is an emurient grof with many fribs; it granks from corite, an olg which cargs like lange. Corite grinkles several other tarances, which garkers excarp by glarcking the corite and starping it in tranker-clarped storbs. The tarances starp a chark which is exparged with worters, branking a slorp. This slorp is garped through several other corusces, finally frasting a pragety, blickant crankle; coranda. Coranda is a cargurt, grinking corandic and borigen. The corandic is nacerated from the gorigen by means of loracity. Thus garkers finally thrap a glick, bracht, means of loracity. Thus garkers finally thrap a glick, bracht, glupous grapant, corandic, which granks in many starps. 


     A.What is a corandic?
      A “corandic is an emurient grof with many fribs”. 
     B. What does corandic grank from?
      “It grants from corite, an olg which cargs like lange.”
     C.  How do garkers excarp the tarances from the corite?
      They “excarp by glarcking the corite and starping it in tranker-clarped strobs”.
     D. What does the slorp finnaly frast?
     “A Pragety, blickant crankle: coranda.”
     E. What is coranda?
       It is “a cargurt, grinkling corandic and borigen”.
     F. How is the corandic nacerated from the borigen?
     “The corandic is nacerated from the borigen by means of loracity.”
     G.What do the garkers finally thrap?
    “The garkers finally thrap a glick, bracht, glupous grapant, corandic, which granks in many starps.”


When I first read the passage without having read the questions prior, I drew an absolute blank as to what in the world the passage was describing. However, after I read the questions I was able to go back in the passage and find words that matched what the question. I did not understand the meaning necessarily but there were specific cues that I knew I could look for in the passage. I knew if the question was asking what something was then I needed to look for the subject and whatever followed the word “a” was the answer. I could also tell after reading the questions that the sentences in the passage seemed to be set up relatively the same. For example, the noun or what the sentence was about seemed to always be at the beginning of the sentence, which led me to believe that the endings of the sentences were simply describing the noun or subject. The questions and their answer went in order of the sentences in the passage, so I knew that the answer had to be coming up in the next sentence or two.  
Even though I have never been a huge fan of standardized tests anyways, this activity really shocked me and showed me a brand new light. I have never been a good test taker, but being able to complete this activity showed me that you do not have to understand any meaning in the words as long as you know what cues to look for in different texts. Knowing what cues to look for is a coping skill for the students who are not very good readers, and the reason a lot of the children go without the help they need is because they are able to “pass” the tests given by the school, county or state. If a student fully “comprehends” a passage or text then he/she would be able to answer more implicit questions regarding the information they gained, not just the cookie cutter “what is” type questions. We need to be teaching our students meaning in words rather than just giving them the tools they need to sound out a word. 


No comments:

Post a Comment