Reflect on the value (or lack thereof) of science education at the Pre-Kindergarten level
I have not actually experience a pre-k classroom while the students were in the classroom, so I do not know from observation. However, one of my best friends just got a job as a pre-k teacher and I was with her when she was going over the curriculum to determine what kind of supplies she would need, I never once heard mention of Science lessons. Therefore, from that one experience I believe there is a huge opportunity we are missing to work off of these young children's natural inquiry about Science. There are so many ways to get these students intersted and excited about Science because they are already curious about their surroundings as it is.
I have had a few months of experience teaching in a pre-K classroom. I was an instructional assistant in the classroom, so I never wrote the lesson plans, but I was involved in implementing the lesson. We had several science activities; although the students may not have been aware they were learning science. They may have been exploring buoyancy through playing in a tub of water with different toys or exploring their senses using different types of food.
ReplyDelete