Wednesday, July 3, 2013

ECE 7706 Module Six: Student Profiles

Student Profiles
Tier 1 Girl:

  • Visual learner- show presentations/watch videos
  • Logical/Mathematical- collect and analyze data
EIP Math/Reading Student Girl:

  • Tactile learner- use manipulatives to solve problems; complete experiments
  • Interpersonal- participate in group collaboration, help others with specific content 

Gifted Student 1:

  • Abstract conceptualization- create concept maps
  • Visual leaner- show presentations; create presentations

Tier 1 Boy:

  • Commonsense learner- participate in experiments; discovery through the use of technology
  • Bodily-Kinesthetic learner- play interactive games

ADD Student:

  • Concrete experiences- relate information/content to personal life
  • Concrete Sequential learner- provide student with step-by-step learning examples/experiences

ESOL Student:

  • Bodily-Kinesthetic leaner- participate in creative play experiences/process dramas
  • Abstract Random learner- participate in group discussions/graffiti walls

EIP Reading Student:

  • Dynamic learner- experimental science centers
  • Naturalistic- make models/experience environmental surroundings

Speech Student:

  • Interpersonal- particiapte in cooperative learning centers
  • Imaginative learner- reflect on science experiences

Gifted Student/World Traveler:

  • Spatial- use technology to create content simulations; create visual to express learned content
  • Analytic learner- complete a research project

Gifted Student 2:

  • Musical- create songs/raps to teach content; learn songs/raps to help remember content
  • Linguistic- write newspaper articles to express learned content

Reflection
      I have been learning about the importance of diversity throughout my educational career. Within education, diversity refers to the differences found in our students' learning, as well as incorporating cultural differences of our students and within the content itself into our daily teachings. We have to remember that our students come to us with different cultures, background knowledge, personal backgrounds and learning styles. It is vital that we get to know our students on a personal level, as well as academically. At the beginning of the year, I always send home activities that will allow me to get to know my students and where they come from, and I give the students a multiple intelligence assignment that will allow me to see how my students believe they learn best. We must keep these things in mind when we are planning our lessons to ensure that we reach each and every one of our students. 

      There are so many different ways in which a student learns various types of content. For example, I am a very visual and kinesthetic learner, but my brother, even though we come from the same DNA, is very auditory. I always did very poorly in lecture-based classrooms, because it was very hard for my to focus on the content while also trying to figure out what exactly they meant. However, my brother could sit in a lecture-based classroom, barely take notes, and completely understand the content within the lecture. When I am creating a lesson or unit, I made sure that at some point or another I have reached each one of the visual, auditory, tactile and kinesthetic learning styles. I also try to make it a point to allow the students to collaborate with one another, but also have time to work and think on their own. Differentiated Instruction Strategies for Science, Grades K-8 had a great idea that I wish to try to incorporate more in my classroom this upcoming year: the use of Choice Boards. Choice Boards are a great way to allow your students to take responsibility for their education by choosing an activity that appeals most to their learning style. I started to experiment with Choice Boards as a way to express ones learning more towards the end of the year. My students loved being able to choose or come up with their own way of showing their peers what they learned. This not only appealed to the students learning style, but also began to appeal to their personal interests because they were able to bring their personalities into their projects. Students need to be excited about their learning, and this was a great, easy way to accomplish this through simply giving students a choice.  
            

2 comments:

  1. Krista,

    I really enjoyed reading about the variety of students in your classroom. I think its interesting about how some students who you would think would be completely different are actually similar in their learning styles. A lot of my students are hands-on learners and visual learners. I like how you talked about choice boards. I have also started to use them in my classroom. I also think choice boards appeal to different learning styles. I like using choice boards for homework too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista,

    It is interesting to see how students are such diverse learners. I learn like your brother, I can sit in a large lecture hall and just remember and understand what was talked about. That doesn't work with most of our students, so when I get my own classroom again I will be looking into incorporating many different ways of learning. I like the idea of choice boards because it allows the students to find what interests them and really show their creativity.

    ReplyDelete