SMART Boards Rock!
Rebecca Giles and Edward Shaw
Synopsis:
Due to the increase in technology in our everyday lives it only makes sense that teachers incorporate various forms of technology into the children’s education. One main form of technology that a lot of students are able to use on a daily basis are the SMART Boards which are the combination of a computer, projector and whiteboard. The students are able to manipulate the board using their hands just as they would a mouse with a computer. SMART Boards are a great tool to use with students due to the interest grabbing way it is used. They make lessons much more hands-on which in turn motivates the students to want to participate in the lessons. Through the use of SMART Boards and other technology, Science and the real world are much more connected when they students are able to access links to websites and videos at the touch of the screen. Yes, it is beneficial for students to be able to directly manipulate objects that are sitting in front of them, but it is just as effective for them to be able to complete the same activity using the whiteboard where they receive immediate feedback.
Giles, R., & Shaw, E. (2011). Smart boards rock!. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.proxy.kennesaw.edu/docview/916224652/fulltextPDF/13F49AC3C1F7990694E/45?accountid=11824
Reflection:
We have talked so much this semester about the importance of STEM programs, and I believe the information in this article was right on track to fit in to that specific kind of program. It is vital that we catch out student’s interest with any lesson and now-a-days technology is the way to do that. When I am planning lessons, my first thoughts are “how can I incorporate the interactive whiteboard?” because I know this is one aspect of learning that truly engages me students. When there is an opportunity for whiteboard manipulation, I always allow a student or students to come up and take part in the activity. It is very apparent when you look into my classroom and see all the hands in their air to participate that they enjoy this form of technology. The students also love working on the computers and the laptops for various other projects. I fully believe that as the years go on teachers will become more and more comfortable with these forms of technology and begin to really enjoy teaching every subject due to the amount of resources available to them. The first time I ever saw an interactive whiteboard it was a SMART Board, but when I actually had my own classroom I was having to use a Promethean Board. They were completely different, so I spent the year getting use to the Promethean Board. However, even after one year I am already much more comfortable with this form of interactive whiteboard that I am so excite to see how much more I can push my elf technologically speaking next year with my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment