Wednesday, September 26, 2012

EDRD 7717 Module 3: Video Analysis

      Phonemic awareness is the basis for an effective reader. However, the only grade I feel like I was able to experience true phonics instruction was in Kindergarten, but I was only in that class for a short period of time. I have not seen much phonics instruction in the older grades even though I think it would be beneficial to the students' overall success. I usually try to at least pull it in to our weekly spelling and vocabulary words. The student I am tutoring actually has good word pronunciation and recognition, but she has a lot of problems when it comes to comprehension. Nonetheless, throughout the length of my tutoring sessions I could begin to implement various phoneme activities. One activity that I could do is called "Stretch-A-Word" and it allows you to put a word together, stretch it out (sound it out) and then say the word as a whole. There is also a game a remade called "Roll-A-Word" where the student can roll the die where the faces have beginning phonemes and the game board has ending phonemes. The student will roll the die and if they say the word phonetically correct then they are allowed to move to the next square. These activities will allow my  student to experience various phoneme combinations that would allow her to be able to break apart unfamiliar words in to familiar phonemes. Also, due to the fact that EJ has trouble with comprehension could mean that she is spending excessive effort on decoding the story, so these activities as well as others will hopefully give her the foundation she needs to read for meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment