Sunday, June 23, 2013

ECE 7706 Module 4: Constructivism

      Constructivism is something we talked about a lot in my undergraduate degree, even in our prerequisite classes before entering the early childhood cohort. When first learning about this concept, I knew it made sense, but did not know that there was much research behind it. However, after beginning to learn more about the brain and how people learn, it all started to come together for me. I believe, especially after exploring my own learning, that using constructivism techniques within the classroom is vital to student long-term learning and true understanding. In class whenever we learn new vocabulary or new concepts, I  always ask the students to think of something it reminds them of or a way that is going to help them remember the term or phrase. This was something I quickly learned really helped my students with remembering information. We would always discuss the various tricks the students mentioned to ensure that their was something that would stick with each of the students. However, something I want to get better at within the classroom, is allow the students to reflect more on their learning. I know that reflecting is very important to turning learned information into knowledge, but it was not something at the forefront of my mind when planning lessons. Therefore, in my upcoming year I plan to require my students to have a "Science Journal". This is not a journal where I give writing prompts, it is a journal strictly for the students to write down their thoughts on the day's lessons, pros/cons to the lesson as far as reaching their learning style, relating the current content to previous material, etc. Constructivism techniques go hand-in-hand with inquiry-based learning because they both want the student to figure out the information for themselves rather than the teacher provide the students will all the answers. I would incorporate constructivism into Science by allowing the students to participate in more Science experiments. This is something I became more comfortable with at the end of the year, and realized that this was something my students gathered the most information/understanding. Along with Science experiments, I could also allow my students to participate in various forms of research and project-based learning. I feel as though by differentiating the product in which students show what they have learned allows the students to make their own connections by trying to determine the best form or presentation. The students would also need to take the facts they gathered through research and put it in their own words.

7 E's:
S3E1. Students will investigate the physical attributes of rocks and soils

Excite:

  • bring the students to the Science Lab to observe the different types of soil and rocks 
  • discuss similarities and differences 

Explore:

  • allow students to explore their yards at home to determine the different types of rocks found in the different areas of our school district
  • watch a video showing how each type of rock is formed

Explain:

  • create visuals describing their observations
  • participate in group discussions
  • think-pair-share
  • reflect on lessons

Expand:

  • research information on the rock cycle
  • research plant life specific to certain types of soils

Extend:

  • experiment with plant growth in sand, clay and potting soil

Exchange:

  • create a class rock museum for other classes to come and explore
  • create group blogs to share with peers 
  • create a class magazine
  • participate in graffiti walls/concept maps

Examine:

  • classmates' projects
  • webquests, turboquests, etc. 

3 comments:

  1. Krista,

    You just gave me an excellent idea! We keep science journals, but these are more for notes (graphic organizers, flip charts, pictures, diagrams, etc.). I too picked up on the importance of reflecting in a constructivist classroom. I often had my students reflecting through prompts or questions I'd pose, instead of simply saying "reflect". I think that word could get burned out quickly.

    I love the idea of a "reflecting" science journal; however, we have a journal for every subject (3 for math) which becomes A LOT (especially if they switch to a new one 1/2 year because it's full). I think after taking notes or doing a lab in their journal, I will give the students a BIG sticky note in which they can write what they liked, did not like, favorite part, what confused them, etc (simply reflecting), and stick it on the page for that day. This way you have both components in one journal, and if you ever want to know their thoughts, they can just turn in the reflection to you. Just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of creating a rock museum for other students to come and see. That's the type of project most kids would love! I also liked your extension of putting plants in clay, potting soil and sand. That would require students to observe, measure, keep records- a lot of learning just from that one activity. You mention using science journals for reflection- would you keep track of whether students were making entries, or leave it entirely up to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista,
    I also heard a lot about constructivism during my undergraduate courses. The science journal idea is really great. My collaborating teacher and I did something very similar to this in our classroom. We would check on their thoughts occasionally but not too often. The students really responded well to it too. We also include graphic organizers and other notes in it as well, because it gave them an opportunity to look at their own work and information and reflect upon it. In your 7E's I love the idea of having students make a class magazine! Have you tried this with any of your students before? I'm so interested to see how creative the students could be with it.

    ReplyDelete