Friday, June 21, 2013

Bonus Blog: Homework

Homework has always been something I struggled with with my students because I agree that the purpose of homework is invalid if the student does not understand what they are doing to begin with. However, as far as my parents are concerned, they had a huge problem when I would not assign homework. Therefore, I decided that when I gave homework it would be something that I review with my students before I sent it home. There would always be an example of how to complete the assignment at the top of the page and I would also take questions from students. I also informed the parents that if your student is really struggling with the content I did not want them to complete the homework until I was able to talk to them about the content. I did not want the students to learn something wrong or make up their own way of doing it that may not always work. I never graded homework, because it was strictly to give students extra practice or determine specifically what aspects of the content the students were struggling with.

1 comment:

  1. Krista, I know what you mean about parents and homework. Although parents don't like too much homework, they seem to feel that somehting is not right if children don't get homework! I agree though that it should focus on work that the students understands, and needs to reinforce. I also agree that homework should not be graded, as there are such varying levels of support at home.

    ReplyDelete