Thursday, December 6, 2012

EDRD 7717 Module 8: Reading Responses

Video Analysis
      As I have been stating from the beginning of the course watching videos about other people's classrooms and teaching strategies is my makes em feel as if I have entered that classroom - or in this case a program. This video was describing the Reading Recovery program and all that this program in tells. The video did describe the program, but it was not very specific as to the teaching strategies. I was hoping that this video would give me more insight into the teaching part of the program, but I was disappointed to find out that it didn't. However, the video did talk a lot about the how the teachers become certified to teach the Reading Recovery program. I loved that the teachers had to attend a class once a week in order to talk about the things that they had experienced as well as learning more and more about the teaching strategies themselves. As much as I love learning new strategies, it would be much more effective if I could see these various strategies at work. The teachers in this program were actually able to watch tutoring sessions through a one-sided mirror where they could see a teacher and a student in an actual tutoring session. This would be amazing to be a part of. I would definitely be interested to learn more about the actual teaching strategies. 

"Factors Involved in Reading and Writing Difficulties"
      This PowerPoint made me feel as if I was back in my undergraduate program, which is not a bad thing, but these concepts were things that we discussed daily. There are a lot of different variables that could effect a child's reading and writing progress, and some were discussed within this PowerPoint. There are cognitive factors, visual processing deficits, language factors, social/emotional factors, physical causes and educational factors that could impede the progress of a child. I actually had a child who we thought was just on the lower end of the students when in actuality we found out that he was having hearing difficulties. He just happened to go to a check-up where they did a hearing test and he failed. After he had tubes put in his ears, it was as if he were a brand new child! It was an amazing turn around. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment